Richard L. Pyle
Database Coordinator for Natural Sciences and Associate Zoologist
Ichthyology Department of Natural Sciences, Bishop Museum
1525 Bernice St., Honolulu, HI 96817
The aim of the Taxon Names and Concepts group (TNC) is to:
- promote the understanding and use of taxonomic names and their relation to described taxa (taxon concepts), and
- how these are related to other biodiversity information models such as those describing specimens and observations.
The primary scope of the TNC group includes Taxonomic Names as controlled by the codes of nomenclature, Taxon Concepts, Vernacular names and their relationships. However, in order to fully understand taxon names and concepts, the TNC group is interested in other TDWG standards in which taxon names and concepts are used or with which they are defined. In particular, taxonomic publications in which the names and concepts are described or cited; biological specimens which typify the taxon names, circumscribe the concepts or that may have been identified as belonging to a particular taxon; and character descriptions that are used in describing taxonomic concepts.
- develops and promotes the use of standard data models for representing taxon names and taxon concepts (taxa),
- monitors their use and where appropriate proposes changes to the standards,
- produces reference implementations and tools and
- documentation and publications promoting the appropriate use of taxonomic names and concepts.
The TNC group is open to all interested parties. You can add yourself to the mailing list. Full membership is available to individuals who intend to be materially active in the group by request to the Convener. We are currently seeking reference implementations of the TCS and case studies for the usage of taxon concepts in general.
- TNC Home page: http://www.tdwg.org/community/tnc/
- TNC Document Repository: http://www.tdwg.org/activities/tnc/tnc-document-repository/ containing presentations introducing readers to taxonomy and the problems associated with improper use of taxonomic names.
- TCS Repository: http://www.tdwg.org/activities/tnc/tcs-schema-repository/ including: the current release of TCS and the TCS User Guide.